Safari - Tanzania (Jan 2005)
About the trip
An African Safari was one of the first items to be added to my life list and definately one of the most important. It was probably one of the top 3 things I most wanted to do on the entire list.
I certainly recommend to anyone who has even the least bit of a travel bug in them or any interest in nature at all to take one trip in their lifetime to Africa. It may not change your life...but it will certainly give you something to remember when you are at the end of it!
My Tanzania Safari Pages
- To see what I paid and how I got there, check out my Plan and Cost page.
- Check out the Gear List for this trip which includes my reviews of how each particular item performed for me.
- My Trip Log is also included if you're interested in what happened over the course of the trip.
- Check out the Photo Gallery for pics of the trip.
- For genereal information on the area, see my Info page
- To check out the guide we used, see the Guide page
About Tanzania Africa
Tanzania IPA: /ˌtænzəˈniːə/, officially the United Republic of Tanzania (Swahili: Jamhuri ya Muungano wa Tanzania), is a country in East Africa bordered by Kenya and Uganda on the north, Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of the Congo on the west, and Zambia, Malawi and Mozambique on the south. To the east it borders the Indian Ocean.
The country's name is a portmanteau of Tanganyika, which is the large mainland territory, and Zanzibar, the offshore archipelago. The two former British colonies united in 1964, forming the United Republic of Tanganyika and Zanzibar, which later the same year was renamed the United Republic of Tanzania.
In 1996 government offices were transferred from Dar es Salaam to Dodoma, making Dodoma the country's political capital. Dar es Salaam remains the principal commercial city.
About the Trip Organizer- Warren Storkman
Warren has done this trip a few times before and has used the Marangu Hotel as a combination Base Lodge, Outfittter and Arranger.